* 1 cup raisins
* 1 cup water
* 3/4 cup shortening
* 1 1/2 cups white sugar
* 2 eggs
* 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
* 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
* 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
* 1 teaspoon baking soda
* 1 teaspoon salt (optional)
* 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
* 1 teaspoon ground cloves
* 2 cups rolled oats
* 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
1. Combine raisins and water in small saucepan. Simmer over low heat 20 to 30 minutes, until raisins are plump. Drain
liquid from raisins into measuring cup. If necessary, add enough additional water to raisin liquid to measure 1/2 cup. Set
drained raisins and 1/2 cup raisin liquid aside to cool.
2. In a large mixing bowl, beat shortening, sugar, eggs and vanilla with an electric mixer until smooth and creamy.
Stir in reserved 1/2 cup raisin water.
3. Sift the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon and cloves into a separate bowl. Stir flour mixture into
shortening mixture with a spoon. Stir in oats, nuts and reserved raisins; mix well.
4. Drop dough by rounded teaspoonfuls, about 2 inches apart, onto ungreased baking sheets. Bake in a preheated 375
degrees F (190 degrees C) oven 8 to 10 minutes, or until lightly browned. Note: These cookies freeze well.
Submitted by Jade T.