* 3 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
* 1 teaspoon baking powder
* 1/2 teaspoon salt
* 1 cup margarine, softened
* 1 1/2 cups white sugar
* 2 eggs
* 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1. Sift flour, baking powder, and salt together, set aside. In a large bowl, cream together the margarine and sugar
until light and fluffy. Beat in the eggs one at a time, then stir in the vanilla. Gradually blend in the sifted ingredients
until fully absorbed. Cover dough, and chill for 2 hours.
2. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C). Grease cookie sheets. On a clean floured surface, roll out small
portions of chilled dough to 1/4 inch thickness. Cut out shapes using cookie cutters.
3. Bake 6 to 8 minutes in the preheated oven, or until edges are barely brown. Remove from cookie sheets to cool on
Submitted by Jacob T.
* 1/2 cup shortening
* 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
* 3 1/4 cups sifted all-purpose flour
* 1 teaspoon salt
* 1 teaspoon baking soda
* 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
* 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
* 3/4 cup molasses
* 1/4 cup water
1. Cream shortening and sugar. Sift flour with salt, soda and spices. Blend flour mixture into creamed mixture alternately
with molasses and water. Chill at least 1 hour.
2. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (180 degrees C).
3. Roll dough to 1/4 inch thick. Cut with large 6-8 inch gingerbreadmen cookie cutters. Lift onto lightly greased cookie
sheet with broad spatula.
4. Bake above oven center for about 12 minutes or until cookies spring back lightly in center. Do not overcook, they
won't stay soft. Remove from sheets. Cool on wire racks. Makes 10 men 6-8 inches tall.
Submitted by Laberta W.